Best German Shepherd Dog Food Comparison Chart.
German Shepherd Dog Food Review – Our Recommendation.
09. Orijen Dry Puppy Food.
08. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food.
07. Precise Pet Holistic Complete for large dogs.
06. Blue Buffalo Adult Healthy Weight, Chicken, and Brown Rice.
05. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition German Shepherd.
04. Blue Buffalo High Protein Grain Free, Red Meat.
03. Redpaw X-Series Dog Food for Canine Fitness.
02. Blue Buffalo Large Breed, Chicken, and Brown Rice.
01. GREENIES Breath Buster Bites.
What to Feed a German Shepherd?
The food requirement of German Shepherds is different from that of other breeds. The fact that they are very active and strong makes them a sensitive breed when it comes to food. You cannot just feed anything to your German Shepherd!
You may like what is German shepherd?
They might eat it but they may not digest it properly, bringing a bad impact on their health. These Shepherds are usually carnivores in nature. This implies that the main ingredient in their diet is protein.
A grown-up German Shepherd needs a proper supply of protein on a regular basis. It is recommended that at least 22% of Shepherd’s everyday meal should be protein.
Although this breed is very sensitive to fat, the proper amount of protein in an everyday meal does not come without a proper amount of fat. Feeding your German Shepherd too much fatty food can be harmful to its health.
On the other hand, if you feed it less fatty food or no fatty food at all, that might have severe impacts on its double-layered coal. If a German Shepherd is not supplied a proper amount of fat every day, it might catch skin diseases. The dog requires about 5-8% of fat in its meal on a daily basis.
The Important thing to keep in mind: Every German Shepherd has its own unique food digestion system and taste bud. You might see some food items work wonders for your neighbors and the same food might cause allergy or diarrhea in your pets. Try 2 or 3 food items slowly before you find the right one.
German Shepherd Calorie breakdown chart.
|Junior and young adult||1500-1700|
|Adult (fully grown)||2000-2250|
What Makes the Best Food for German Shepherd?
When it comes to buying dog foods, there are certain factors that you need to keep in mind, such as the age of your dog, the breed of your dog and most importantly, the daily nutrition requirement of your dog.
If your dog is very active as a German Shepherd, the most important things that it needs in the daily meal are lots of proteins and carbohydrates. Now, the question you may ask is, do only protein and carbohydrate make a dog food ideal for your dog?
The answer is no. Although they do need a lot of proteins and carbohydrates, you also need to think about other factors like, “Is this dog food going to help your dog build a strong immune system?” and “Is this food helping your dog develop strong bones and muscles?”
Most cheap dog foods available in the market do not fulfill these needs. So, what makes a dog food ideal?
There is no particular answer to that question but we can say that the food that meets the daily nutrition needs of your dog is the ideal dog food. It may differ from breed to breed. However, a few common factors should be maintained while buying dog foods.
- The number of Proteins: An ideal meal for a dog should contain at least 22% of proteins. Proteins help dogs stay active and help them gain energy.
- Low Fat: Although fat makes the food more delicious, too much fatty food can be harmful to dogs. Then again, if there is no fat at all, it can be harmful to the dog’s skin. Ideal dog food should contain 5%-6% of fat.
- A balance of Omega 3 And 6 Fatty Acids: A proper balance of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids can help dogs develop healthy skin and keep their coats shiny.
- Vitamins And Minerals: Essential vitamins and minerals can help dogs maintain strong immunity.
- Natural Food: Food made from natural meat can help in developing healthy muscles. On the other hand, artificial flavor, corn syrup, and soy can be harmful to the dog’s health.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The German shepherd is an aggressive dog so it needs proper food. Every dog, from puppies to adults, needs proper food and nutrition. It is wiser to go for natural dog food, rather than the cheap dog foods available in the market.
Owners should be aware of their dogs’ nutritional demands and in this specific case, feed them the dog food for German shepherd accordingly.